New York (212) 679-1330

Video Blog

What Do I Do If I Get in a Car Accident While on the Job?

Posted by Alyssa Myles | Jul 08, 2024 | 0 Comments

Accidents happen, and they can be especially stressful if they occur while you're on the job. At Goldstein & Handwerker, we frequently get calls from individuals who've been involved in work-related car accidents. Recently, we had a potential client reach out after being in an accident while driving a truck for Amazon. He wondered if the steps to take were any different than if he were driving for personal reasons. The answer is yes, and understanding these differences is crucial.

Notify Your Employer Immediately

If you're involved in a car accident while on the job, the first thing you should do is notify your employer right away. This is essential because the laws regarding how your medical bills and compensation are handled differ significantly from those of a non-work-related accident. Your employer's Workers' Compensation Insurance will cover your medical expenses. However, there are often strict time limits for reporting the accident to your employer, so don't delay.

Workers' Compensation Coverage

When you're in a car accident on the job, your medical bills will generally be covered by your employer's Workers' Compensation Insurance. This coverage applies even if you continue working while receiving medical treatment. Workers' compensation ensures that your medical expenses are taken care of, and it can also cover a portion of your lost wages if you're unable to work due to your injuries.

Understand Subrogation

One important aspect to be aware of is subrogation. In some states, any money that the Workers' Compensation carrier pays for your medical bills or lost wages might need to be reimbursed from the settlement you receive in your personal injury case. This means that while you receive immediate help with your medical bills and lost wages through Workers' Compensation, those payments could be reclaimed from any future settlement.

Legal Representation

Navigating a work-related car accident can be complex, and you'll likely need two types of legal representation. First, a workers' compensation lawyer will help you manage the issues related to your medical bills and lost income and potentially secure a lump-sum settlement. Second, a personal injury lawyer will focus on obtaining compensation for your pain and suffering from the party at fault in the accident.

We're Here to Help

At Goldstein & Handwerker, we're here to assist you through every step of this challenging process. If you've been involved in a car accident while on the job and have questions about your next steps, don't hesitate to contact us. Give us a call at (973) 912-0555 or visit our website for more information and guidance.

Remember, understanding your rights and taking prompt action can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. We're here to ensure you get the support and compensation you deserve.

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Goldstein & Handwerker, LLP, is committed to answering your questions about Personal Injury, Criminal Defense, and DUI/DWI law issues in New York and New Jersey.

We’ll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.